Open OnDemand tips and tricks calls

@emily.dragowsky - it’s here if you haven’t registered for Gateways.

Correction, it was moved to the Gateways zoom meeting

image001.jpg

thanks – I appreciate the alternative links. will have to wait for the recording as a discussion blew up in my local team support chat. Hope it was a good session – I’m rather keenly interested in the support of the apps, and am realizing that a lot has changed since my first attempts to support ood (from v1.3), and implementing apps in RHEL8 with virtualGL and containers and/or local installs (local efforts and with EasyBuild framework) has my head spinning. At least end of semester approaches - a time for calm reflection ( ;

Thanks for the feedback Em. The RHEL8 (or Rocky8 in our case), VGL, etc are good topic for future calls. I’ll put this down in our call topics document.

Thanks, Martin.

Has the topic of OnDemand supporting large enrollment courses already been presented?
My pet peeve is the behaviour of students & their faculty, frankly, towards ood when they are conducting courses featuring ~100 students. And then of course if a few such courses have students active at any particular time.

Tips to moderate unintentional behaviour that contributes to poor performance of the ood host would be directly on topic. I’m sure there are other worthy considerations.

Courses featuring rstudio/rserver via containers would be also of great direct interest to our facility.
Thanks, again

Our next Tips and Tricks call is next week, Thursday May 5 at 1pm ET.

We will discuss “Resource limits for OOD jobs and their implementation”.

To help to steer the discussion, please, fill in the following form before the call, so that we can get a good overview of the different options, that sites choose. Also, in the form, please, note if you would like to spend a few minutes describing your OOD job limits and their implementation. The form is at https://forms.gle/LZbbYgktwA8RuGk18.

Those planning to attend this Thursday’s tips and tricks call, please fill in the questionnaire, it’s very short and it will help us with the discussion. We only have 7 responses so far. https://forms.gle/LZbbYgktwA8RuGk18

FYI, here is the link you need to utilize:

Video and documents from the May call are in the call folder, May 5 2022 - Google Drive.

June call topic will be made available shortly. Thanks to everyone who attended today for a great discussion.

Our June Tips and Tricks call is coming this Thursday, 6/2 at 1pm. The topic, presenters and abstract is below:

Azure OnDemand HPC Platform - Overview

Xavier Pillons, Paul Edwards, Microsoft

Azure HPC OnDemand Platform (aka az-hop) available in the Azure/az-hop public GitHub repository to help HPC customers to onboard faster on Azure. az-hop delivers a complete HPC cluster solution ready for users to run applications, which is easy to deploy and manage for HPC administrators. az-hop leverages Open OnDemand and the various Azure building blocks and can be used as-is, or easily customized and extended to meet any uncovered requirements.

The July Tips and Tricks call will be this Thursday, 7/7 at 1pm ET.

Bruce Carpenter from the University of Georgia Athens will talk about Open OnDemand X Desktop Customization. Call document is at July 7, 2022 call - Google Docs.

Also, please be reminded that after Thursday’s call we will take a break in August and re-convene the calls in September.

Where can I get the recording of that session.
Thanks !

While not yet posted, the link will appear on https://openondemand.org/ under Webinar section (see post #12 in this thread for authoritative statement)

The recordings from the last two calls are at

Sorry about the delay in posting the June call, and thanks for the reminders. Again a reminder that we will skip August and will re-convene on September 1st. If anyone has any topic to present please reply to this thread.

Thank You very much !

The summer is almost over (although it does not look like it here in SLC), so, it’s time to resume the Tips and Tricks calls.

Our next Tips and Tricks call is this Thursday, 9/1 at 1pm ET / 12pm CT / 11am MT / 10am PT.

The OSC Open OnDemand team will review the new YAML based dynamic features of the batch connect forms. Historically to achieve the same result sites would have to write their own javascript, but Open OnDemand 2.0 has this capability built in such that YAML configurations will create forms that can react to user choices.

The time is flying, our next call is a week from Thursday, 10/6 at 1pm ET.

If there is any volunteer to present please let me know ASAP. Otherwise, I will give a very short talk on how we implemented Open OnDemand in our protected environment (short because it’s not very different from the general environment), and then we can spend some time celebrating a year of these calls and brainstorm for future topics. To help with that, please, look at our existing call topics document, Call topics - Google Docs

This call is the last one in the current cycle of the Zoom registration. I have just extended the duration for this meeting for another year (through November 2023). Those who registered likely got an e-mail in that regard. Hopefully this will allow us to continue without a need for re-registration, but I don’t know for sure since this is the first time I have done an extension like this. The registration link is the same as it was, Meeting Registration - Zoom.

A quick reminder of the Tips and Tricks call this Thursday. Apart from a quick tour of CHPC’s Open OnDemand in the Protected Environment, Ping Luo from Yale University will show us their recent “Simple Solution for Server-side Hardware Accelerated 3D Rendering Using VirtualGL”.

In the remainder of the time we’ll discuss future direction of the calls.

Note that I extended the validity of the registered Zoom meeting for another year, with the hope that those registered don’t have to re-register, but we’ll know for sure in November, this Thursday call is the last of the original year.

The November Tips and Tricks call will be in a week, on November 3rd at 1pm ET. The HPC group from Idaho National Laboratory will discuss their evaluation of Open OnDemand impacts, which they also presented at PEARC22:

Quantifying the Impact of Advanced Web Platforms on High Performance Computing Usage

Abstract: The deployment of Science Gateways for High Performance Computing (HPC) systems can alter long-accepted usage patterns on supercomputing systems in positive ways as an ever-increasing number of users migrate their workflows to HPC systems. Idaho National Laboratory (INL) has deployed two separate advanced web platforms, Open OnDemand and NICE DCV, for integration with HPC resources to improve web accessibility for HPC users. We conducted a multi-year study on how HPC usage patterns changed in the presence of these platforms. This work reports the results of that study and quantifies the observed impacts, including adoption by visualization and Jupyter Notebook/Lab users, decreased job submission friction, rapid uptake of HPC by Windows users, and increased overall system utilization. The most significant impacts were observed from the deployment of Open OnDemand, and this work also identifies some best practices for Open OnDemand deployment for HPC datacenters.
Link to paper: https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3491418.3530758

For those having hard time finding the Zoom link, this is a recurring meeting so the link is the same for all the meetings. Below is the information for the next year’s worth of meetings, but, once we extend it at the end of this year’s worth, the link should still be the same.

Also note that the meeting is still set up with pre-registration, so, you may need to register to this meeting first.

Martin Cuma is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: OOD Tips and Tricks
Time: Nov 3, 2022 11:00 AM Mountain Time (US and Canada)
Every month on the First Thu, until Nov 2, 2023, 13 occurrence(s)
Nov 3, 2022 11:00 AM
Dec 1, 2022 11:00 AM
Jan 5, 2023 11:00 AM
Feb 2, 2023 11:00 AM
Mar 2, 2023 11:00 AM
Apr 6, 2023 11:00 AM
May 4, 2023 11:00 AM
Jun 1, 2023 11:00 AM
Jul 6, 2023 11:00 AM
Aug 3, 2023 11:00 AM
Sep 7, 2023 11:00 AM
Oct 5, 2023 11:00 AM
Nov 2, 2023 11:00 AM
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Monthly: https://utah.zoom.us/meeting/tJYqfuqqrToqGtMMel3jTB6OGpi1hUWtFdmJ/ics?icsToken=98tyKuCqqTIpGNeUsBmARowQB4r4b-rztn5fjbdwsRrpUCpnQFXZEfJLY7pKJ8z2

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 927 9323 1007
Passcode: 079121

1 Like