Websocket Connections Error

You should be looking for the 500 here. This looks like a 200 return (req_status=“200”) and a different api anyhow.

For a 500 from apache (or nginx) behind it, I’m almost sure there’d be some error message in /var/log/httpd24/error_log or some stack trace in /var/log/ondemand-nginx/$USER/error.log. Search the apache logs for ‘500’ or ‘ssh’ or even just ‘error’, you may see something like [proxy:error] [pid 25998] (111)Connection refused: AH00957: WS:.

1 Like

Any luck in figuring out what the issue was?

Hi, we as well experience a similar issue. Here is a dump from a Chrome browser:

@sashka You may have to scroll down in your network tab to see the call we’re looking for.

When all works out it’s a 101 status returned.

A quick off the top check you should confirm the host you’re trying to login to is allowed through the OOD_SSHHOST_ALLOWLIST config.

https://osc.github.io/ood-documentation/master/customization.html#set-ssh-allowlist

Thanks @jeff.ohrstrom. That was it. OOD_SSHHOST_ALLOWLIST uses a different format than host_regex in ood_portal.yml. It’s working now that I’ve corrected it.

I installed OOD on Ubuntu 18.04 with the provided Ansible role. I got the similar error. Prior to the Ubuntu installation, I also installed OOD with rpm on CentOS 7 without any errors afterwards. I compared both debug level logs, and realized that I haven’t enabled mod_proxy_wstunnel in the Ubuntu installation. After enabling mod_proxy_wstunnel, the error is gone. In addition, before enabling mod_proxy_wstunnel, I also cannot run Jupyter interactive apps because the kernel can’t never connect to the compute node. This error is also solved by enabling mod_proxy_wstunnel.

1 Like

Thank you! I will patch the ansible role.

Hey Jeff,

It seems that I am having a similar issue on nodes when we have more than one desktops open on a single node (even though they are different users). I have tested this on all end-user OS’s and browsers and we still get the same error. Here is the output from Chrome’s debug.

~ Joe G.

@JPGlaser I’d say open a new topic to debug - I’m not entirely sure what’s going on with your site as you’ve shown a shell app connection but describe issues with desktops.

In any case, I’d

• verify websockets can work at all (the shell app is a good indication of this)
  • verify there are no port conflicts/collisions in the desktop app. Mabye the 2nd user is attempting to access the 1st users’ desktop port.