Set environment variable for interactive apps

I would like to set OOD_DATAROOT for some interactive apps. For other apps, like the job composer, I was able to follow documentation here and add an env file to /etc/ood/config/apps/myjobs/env . However, the same configuration does not seem to work for rstudio and interactive desktops. For example, putting an env file in /etc/ood/config/apps/bc_desktop does not seem to have any effect.

I have also tried putting the env variable in /etc/ood/config/nginx_stage.yml by using the “pun_custom_env” key as described here. However, I need to use $USER when setting OOD_DATAROOT. Something like OOD_DATAROOT=/home/$USER/.ood_portal works fine in an env file, but when set in nginx_stage.yml like OOD_DATAROOT: "/home/$USER/.ood_portal", "$USER" gets read as a string literal.

The interactive apps are all managed by the Dashboard Passenger app, and the dataroot for that app can be configured using /etc/ood/config/apps/dashboard/env like you do with the Job Composer. By changing that, you will change the root where all of the interactive apps go.

Thanks, that worked for me!