Package update overwrites Desktop app config

A yum update of the ondemand package overwrote app files bc_desktop/template/script.sh.erb and bc_desktop/form.yml which contain necessary customization for the local environment. Is this expected behavior? Is there a way to retain customization short of excluding the package from being updated (or restoring manually after update)?

(System: RHEL 7.7, package ondemand-1.6.22-1.el7.x86_64, repo @ondemand-web)

You should be dropping new form.yml files in the configuration directory /etc/ood/config/apps/bc_desktop/, the rpm won’t touch that. I think what’s provided in the distribution is just a default. You can see our configs where we just drop this folder directly as-is in /etc/ood/confg.

To the script.sh.erb, I’d ask what you updated to see if there’s some other way to achieve your goal through configuration or similar.

If there isn’t, you can override the script_file attribute though that may not be straight forward as you’d need it to be on the compute nodes and not in ERB, so not a template.

Thanks, that works for form.yml files. For script.sh.erb we have added a line:

export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=$HOME/ondemand/.xdg

Very good!

Yep! You want to do something like this in your cluster definiton file (in clusters.d). Adding it here will make sure that any VNC type job will start with this export (which is what I’d imagine you’d need).

v2:
  # other stuff removed for brevity
  batch_connect:
    vnc:
      script_wrapper: |
        export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=$HOME/ondemand/.xdg
        %s

Great, that seems to be working, thanks!