OOD 2: dashboard layout configuration and p2p app sharing?

It seems that the p2p app sharing (enabled in …/apps/dashboard/env) overrides the new dashboard layout control features. Is there a way to implement both?

Thanks

Thank you for the reminder! We haven’t begun to migrate our sharing site quite yet so this got dropped a bit. A thousand apologies! I’ve created this ticket for the same.

I believe if you configure

pinned_apps:
 - usr/*

pinned_apps_group_by: category

And remove (or comment) these 3 lines

from /var/www/ood/apps/sys/dashboard/config/routes.rb it should start to work for you.

Hi, Jeff –

Thanks for sharing these ideas. Commenting out the lines in ‘routes.rb’ seems to be sensitive to the settings in …/ondemand.d/ondemand.yml. I perhaps am not sure what to do with the pinned_apps_group_by:’ I’ve implemented the suggestions for ondemand.yml as follows :

pinned_apps:

• type: sys
    category: ‘Interactive Apps’
  • type: usr/*
    dashboard_layout:
    rows:
    • columns:
      • width: 12
        widgets:
        • pinned_apps: 4
    • columns:
      • width: 12
        widgets: [‘motd’]

I’ve tried some variations on the above that break the PUN, and so am running nginx_clean against my user account quite often.

I’m clearly not in command of the ideas for setting configurations. I’m also still working on a test setup, so have the luxury to break things good, if that would advance my learning curve.

Best

I appreciate your patience while we work through this! I’m working to fix this bug this week.

The pinned_apps_group_by you can toggle (bomment/disable) when you get pinned apps working, you’ll see the difference clearly.

As to variations that break the PUN, that shouldn’t be. If you happen to save a configuration that consistently breaks for you (I’ll try this one you’ve provided) let me know as there could be some issue you’ve uncovered.

I can’t tell if the yaml formatting here is off, let’s assume that is isn’t. I think you have a slight error here in pinned_apps: 4. The widgets element is an array of widget names (strings). That it’s defined as a key value pair could be throwing you off. I’ve modified it below to be the same as the motd column.

pinned_apps:
- type: sys
  category: 'Interactive Apps'

- type: 'usr/*'

dashboard_layout:
  rows:
    - columns:
        - width: 12
          widgets: ['pinned_apps']
    - columns:
          widgets: ['motd']

Arrays can be defined both ways here in YAML. Both is OK. For my taste I like -, but just me, the only thing I’d really stress is consistency.

- columns:
          widgets: ['motd']

and

- columns:
          widgets:
            - 'motd'

I’ve published 2.0.11 which will have the same change. Sites that use app sharing like yours will have to enable these 2 settings to have some parity.

pinned_apps:
- "usr/*"

Were you able to sort out the dashboard layout issues @emily.dragowsky ?

Thanks, Jeff. I wish I could be sure. Concerning:

pinned_apps:
- "usr/*"

It seems now that I have p2p sharing configured on my test server, with the same gateways set on the test server as on the production server, I cannot affected the p2p shared layout through ondemand.d/ondemand.yml These p2p apps persist, whether I have commented out the lines or not.

The test server has 2.0.10 installed.
I’m going to be away for about two weeks. I have been pretty thorough checking this out this afternoon, but have possibly missed something. I’ll look for 2.0.11 when I get back, and try this all again.

Thanks!

Those 2 weeks flew by! We just published 2.0.13 which has this fix so you don’t have to hack the production dashboard.

You will however continue to require the configuration you’ve listed above to have layout parity. I mean, we won’t show the p2p icons by default - you’ll have to pin and group them by those configuration items to have a layout like 1.8-.

Thanks, Jeff – Great news, much appreciated.
~ Em