OnDemand New Installation - /var/lib/ondemand-nginx/config directory does not exist

Hello,

We are OnDemand newbies trying to install and configure OnDemand. We have installed dashboard and files core applications and we are on this step:
https://osc.github.io/ood-documentation/master/installation/from-source/finalizing.html

Add NGINX configs for the core web apps

touch /var/lib/ondemand-nginx/config/apps/sys/activejobs.conf
touch /var/lib/ondemand-nginx/config/apps/sys/dashboard.conf
touch /var/lib/ondemand-nginx/config/apps/sys/file-editor.conf
touch /var/lib/ondemand-nginx/config/apps/sys/files.conf
touch /var/lib/ondemand-nginx/config/apps/sys/myjobs.conf
touch /var/lib/ondemand-nginx/config/apps/sys/shell.conf
/opt/ood/nginx_stage/sbin/update_nginx_stage &>/dev/null || :

When we run the touch command for dashboard, it returns an error ‘No such file or directory’. We can see the config directory (/var/lib/ondemand-nginx/config) does not exist and am wondering if we are missing a step.

[root@ohylood1-d laud]# touch /var/lib/ondemand-nginx/config/apps/sys/dashboard.conf
touch: cannot touch ‘/var/lib/ondemand-nginx/config/apps/sys/dashboard.conf’: No such file or directory
[root@ohylood1-d laud]#

[root@ohylood1-d ondemand-nginx]# pwd
/var/lib/ondemand-nginx
[root@ohylood1-d ondemand-nginx]# ls -ltra
total 4
drwx------. 2 ondemand-nginx ondemand-nginx 6 May 12 12:21 tmp
drwxr-xr-x. 36 root root 4096 Aug 4 14:19 …
drwx------. 3 ondemand-nginx ondemand-nginx 17 Aug 4 14:19 .
[root@ohylood1-d ondemand-nginx]#

Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome! I’m totally sorry for your pain of installing from source! (Are you on a Debian platform? If you run CentOS or RHEL you should just install the RPM.)

Looks like you need to create those directories. Mabye a mkdir -p /var/lib/ondemand-nginx/config/apps/sys is all you’d need.

As an aside, if you continue to run into issues, we wrote some automation through ansible to install on Debian platforms here. That could prove to be less painful for you given that those instructions may not be up to date.

In fact I’m sure that it can because I don’t believe the instructions are complete pn how to get for example passenger enabled nginx or how to build the passsenger libraries, which you’ll need to get it running.

Thanks Jeff. We are using RHEL. We went back to https://yum.osc.edu/ondemand/1.7/web/el7/x86_64/ and downloaded all the rpms that we did not have installed.

After we installed ondemand rpm, this created /etc/ood/… (that we didn’t have before) and all the config files for the core apps in /var/lib/ondemand-nginx/config/apps/sys

Now, we have the dashboard and file explorer working :slight_smile:

We were originally following this step: https://osc.github.io/ood-documentation/master/installation/from-source/system-dependencies.html and the documentation is missing other rpms like ondemand, builder, python etc. (all the rpms found in the first link) I would recommend to add these to the install from source documentation.