Job Composer Thoughts/Suggestions

Welcome!

• Can we do links/markup in the template notes? I’m copying examples from our user docs and attempting to cross-link things.

By template notes do you mean comments in the scripts? I like that idea. We could look into running the scripts through a Markdown renderer before we display them on the Job Composer view.

• Tutorial mode: I like the joyride functionality you get on first go - is there a way to integrate this into templates? Tutorial templates would be super slick.

I’m not sure what you mean; can you explain your idea a bit more?

• Can edit system templates? When looking at the system templates it lets me navigate into /var. Of course I can’t actually edit anything but potentially a confusion point. Also, if I click “Open in Terminal” it launches a terminal on the cluster front-end and tries to cd to where the OOD /var files that don’t exist there.

Starting in version 1.4 (coming soon!) we are going to offer an optional whitelist for certain apps, including the Job Composer, which would prevent users from accessing non-whitelisted directories .

• Can you modify the job options dialog? Like set nodes, ppn, and walltime and replace account with queue? Or remove the Cluster dropdown (we will deploy one instance per cluster).

The short answer is no; the Job Composer is not configurable in this fashion. The longer answer is that this is a conversation that we have had before both with community members and internally, and one that hasn’t reached a decision. One community request happened here, and Eric put together an example of how it could be done but that requires edits to the core application. The internal discussion concerns how our configurable applications are architected, and is ongoing.

• Can we do templating in the templates? For example, I’m putting ppn=20 in every single template… it’d be slick to set 20 to a variable so I don’t need to edit a bunch.

I suppose at that point it would be better to call them templated examples, or dynamic examples. We can look into that.