Interactive Apps drop down menu showing 2 version of Jupyter notebook: Form and Manifest

Has anyone else seen this in the drop down ‘Interactive Apps’ menu? I only have one jupyter_app in the sys directory, but OnDemand is showing 2: one with the extension Form and the other with Manifest:

Servers
 Jupyter Notebook Production: Form
 Jupyter Notebook Production: Manifest
 RStudio Server

grep’ing for Manifest in that app dir doesn’t find anything:

[root@vm039 sys]# grep -r Manifest * | grep jupyter_app
[root@vm039 sys]# 

This is a clone of the app running in our production environment that doesn’t show this behavior. Both work, but I’m sure users will be confused. I’ve removed all other directories to make sure and restarted the web server:

[root@vm039 sys]# pwd
/var/www/ood/apps/sys
[root@vm039 sys]# ls 
activejobs  bc_desktop  dashboard  file-editor  files  jupyter_app  myjobs  rstudio_app  shell
[root@vm039 sys]# ls -l 
total 36
drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 4096 Mar 13 12:27 activejobs
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4096 Mar 13 12:27 bc_desktop
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 4096 Mar 13 12:27 dashboard
drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 4096 Mar 13 12:28 file-editor
drwxr-xr-x  7 root root 4096 Mar 13 12:28 files
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root 4096 Mar 29 15:21 jupyter_app
drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 4096 Mar 13 12:28 myjobs
drwxr-xr-x  5 root root 4096 Mar 29 14:59 rstudio_app
drwxr-xr-x  7 root root 4096 Mar 13 12:30 shell

@suzlitz, just to let you know I’ll have time to look into these issues you are having Thursday.

@efranz I have to leave around noon tomorrow but am available Friday.

Thanks!

Just to document the solution which was determined offline. This problem was caused by the the same state that introduced another problem Problems getting apps to work under 1.5. The issue was that the custom Jupyter notebook interactive app plugin code was installed at /var/www/ood/apps/sys/jupyter_app and then there was another copy of the code at /etc/ood/config/apps/jupyter_app. Because the Dashboard by default looks for an interactive app plugins (batch connect plugins) “subapps” in /etc, the form.yml config files being used for Jupyter in this case were in /etc/ood/config/apps/jupyter_app instead of in /var/www/ood/apps/sys/jupyter_app.

The solution was to remove the duplicate directory at /etc/ood/config/apps/jupyter_app.

The long term solution will be a plugin architecture that doesn’t feature a confusing concept like “sub-apps”.