El8 install of app tutorials: websockify via OSC repo?

Hiya, we’re forging into the el8 world with a new OOD instance and just had a quick question about the installation of websockify (and maybe turbovnc).

It doesn’t look like websockify is (yet?) in epel…

# cat /etc/centos-release
CentOS Linux release 8.2.2004 (Core)
# dnf repository-packages epel list | grep websockify
# dnf search websockify
Last metadata expiration check: 0:42:18 ago on Thu 19 Nov 2020 12:44:33 PM MST.
No matches found.

…but we noticed this thread discussing the ondemand-compute repo and package group, which does conveniently have exactly the el8 packages I need --> OOD 1.8.12-1.el7 - Installing Websockify breaks OnDemand Instance

Since I don’t know how official that repo is, would it be advisable to continue to grab TurboVNC from its own repo, or is it fine to stick with the ‘compute’ repo for the near future?

And, of course, similarly would you advise we install websockify from that repo, (again, for the near future) or another means?

Thanks!

The ondemand-compute repo is something we provide as a convenience to OnDemand sites but we don’t use it at OSC, so it’s not as thoroughly tested as everything else with OnDemand that OSC directly uses. I plan to continue to maintain the ondemand-compute repo as long as we rely on TurbuVNC and websockify so I would say it’s fine to use our repo if more mainstream alternatives like EPEL do not exist.

1 Like