Cannot access sandbox/dev environment from browser

I am attempting to deploy the Jupyter app on my install of OnDemand (v1.8.12). I have followed the steps outlined at:
https://osc.github.io/ood-documentation/latest/app-development/tutorials-interactive-apps/add-jupyter/copy-app.html

but when I attempt to access the sandbox environment via the /pun/dev URL I get the following error:

App has not been initialized or does not exist

This is the first time this app has been launched in your per-user NGINX (PUN) server. This requires a configuration change followed by a restart of your PUN server. Be sure you save all the work you are doing in other apps that have active websocket connections (i.e., Shell App) and you complete all file uploads/downloads.

Clicking the “Initialize App” button will apply the configuration change and restart your per-user NGINX (PUN) server.

Initialize App

If I click on Initialize App I get the following error:

Error – invalid request: /dev
Run ‘nginx_stage --help’ to see a full list of available command line options.

Instead of navigating directly to the url you should be able to see a link to the app in your ‘sandbox apps’ panel in the interactive sessions page.

Or you could navigate to “my sandbox apps” through the development dropdown in the navigation bar. There you should get to a page that that holds links to your sandbox apps.

The actual link you’re looking for is /pun/sys/dashboard/batch_connect/dev/<the app directory you cloned into>/session_contexts/new but I’d just follow the links given in the dashboard’s interactive session’s page or the sandbox page.

Instead of navigating directly to the url you should be able to see a link to the app in your ‘sandbox apps’ panel in the interactive sessions page.

I do not see a ‘sandbox app’ panel under the interactive sessions page

Or you could navigate to “my sandbox apps” through the development dropdown in the navigation bar. There you should get to a page that that holds links to your sandbox apps.

There in no dropdown present in the navigation bar

I have not cloned an app as of yet. I was attempting to following the instructions to install Jupyter from

https://osc.github.io/ood-documentation/latest/app-development/tutorials-interactive-apps/add-jupyter/copy-app.html

The next step is to clone the app, but I am not able to access as stated from the browser

Have you enabled app development for yourself? Once you do this you’ll see these menu items.

Jeff,
That did the trick. Only step missing from the directions is to ensure the directory created under /var/www/ood/apps has the correct permissions set so that other has read/executable rights. (o+rx)